Saturday, December 5, 2015

Love The Kims | Family Photoshoot with Melissa Baerwald


There is no doubt I love taking pictures and appreciate good photography. I've recently learned to love good storytelling and documenting through photos, thanks to Melissa! She's a friend that I have worked with as a colleague for many years in the past. We both appreciate art, design and photography (even little bit of knitting!) and always had plenty to chat about. That's why I am so excited and happy to see Melissa launching her own documentary portrait and lifestyle photography biz based in Seattle! She loves to capture honest images of families through their story and their essence. I love her wide and low angle style and variations with bw photography. I was so thrilled when she offered to take some snaps of us when she had plans to visit bay area. 


Melissa thought our photoshoot wouldn't be quite complete without stopping at one of my favorite coffee place in Oakland. She's known me for a long time and I guess she knows me well. We stop by at Trouble Coffee in West Oakland to fuel up with some coffee and yummy toast before heading to OMCA (Oakland Museum of CA) for the shoot.



We went over to OMCA (Oakland Museum of CA) which is located near the lake and downtown in Oakland. I like taking the boys there on early dismissal days from school. We like going there to walk around the green area, follow along all the cement wall steps, grab some snacks at the museum cafĂ© and even do our homework there. It's really a nice change of scene for us and sometimes we really need to get out of the house and go somewhere without having drive far. We love that you don't have to pay for the admission if you just want to use their facility. Art exhibits are great both covering history (California) and modern art. We actually had some time to check out the exhibits this time with Melissa. We also like the Friday Night's at OMCA / Off The Grid for line up of food trucks and live music performances. I would really love for more families in the bay area to know how much OMCA can offer.


I love this photo of us near this glass reflection installation. This says so much about us. We usually don't feel like we have to always do things together. As much as we like spending time as a family, I realized that we are different; and at times, it's quite ok to be standing alone, facing different directions and doing our own little things. We are connected regardless.  


Glad that I did this session with Melissa. When you see these photos, you cannot help but to feel gratitude. This was not a fancy dressed up family annual photo session, a studio shot...I'm thankful that Melissa captured these moments honestly and beautifully. With me actually in it!!! How often does that happen when I'm usually the main person taking the photos. Ha! Next time, I'll have to make sure to invite her to our home and document whatever is that we are doing in our own little space. Of course with everyday chao and utter mess being huge part of it!


There she is (well sort of). Thank you Melissa for taking the time to shoot that day! I have never seen a photographer who is willing to get down on her knees to get great photos. We had a great time!

If you like Melissa's work and interested in learning more about family documentary photography, please go visit her website/blog here! www.melissabaerwald.com 

______________
+ Photography and Editing by Melissa Baerwald

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...